Summer at Tilbury Farm
Nestled within the Quantock Hills, the West Somerset countryside surrounding Tilbury Farm comes alive each summer. Following the first cuckoo call in spring, the country lanes fill with an array of wild flowers. Cow parsley, stithwort, pink campion, wild orchid, foxgloves, buttercups, wild garlic and elderflower adorn the hedgerows whilst the moorland is covered by yellow gorse blooms, lilac heather and plump blue wortle-berries.
The meadows and trees of Tilbury Farm are home to native woodpeckers, tree pipits and warblers and then joined by the migratory pied flycatcher, wheatear, whinchat and nightjar each summer. The big skies and views from the cottages and shepherd huts at Tilbury Farm provide the perfect lookout for buzzards circling in the thermals and other birds of prey including the kestrel and peregrine falcon.
Fetes, fairs, flower shows and festivals
Local villages and towns also come alive each summer and celebrate with fetes, fairs, flower shows and festivals of the musical and beer variety. From the big names of Devon County Show, The Bath and West Show to the more regional Dunster Show, Dunster Fair and Taunton Flower Show; these annual events celebrate all that rural West Somerset, the Quantock Hills and Exmoor National Park have to offer.
Our favourite occasions are the more modest very local affairs. Home-made signage in the lanes advertise “family dog-show”, “village fete”, “outdoor theatre” or “beer fest”. Every Quantock village hosts at least a fete, a pony and dog show and / or a flower show. Expect the jingle of morris dancers, festive bunting, delicious cream-teas and locally made cakes and ice-cream. Observe serious competition for hotly contested fruit-cake, chutney and vegetable contests. Participate in pony-rides, skittles, slap-the-rat, tombola, raffles and stalls selling home-grown seedlings and home-made cakes.
Outdoor Theatre and Music
Multiple weekly events such as these are easily accessible from Tilbury Farm throughout the summer months. We are also ideally situated for other cultural events including music, drama and art. A local organisation ‘Music on the Quantocks’ hosts classical music concerts on our doorstep in village churches, tithe barns and halls. Folk music can be enjoyed at Halsway Manor or at Pebbles Wine Bar in Watchet. The local village of Stogumber hosts a musical festival at the end of each summer including both classical and folk music. Open-air opera can be seen at Crowcombe Court and theatre at Hestercombe Gardens, Dunster Castle, Glastonbury Abbey or further afield in the Valley of the Rocks in Exmoor National Park. Art exhibitions are also hosted by Hestercombe and at the harbour town of Watchet.
Ponies and Village Gardens
Several local villages including Stogumber and Kingston St Mary host Open Garden charity days displaying their most beautiful cottage gardens and delicious refreshments. Stogumber has a beer festival each summer. The local equestrian community also celebrates summer in style with surrounding pony clubs offering sweet competitions including miniature show-jumping courses, fancy-dress and showing classes. Our very local Quantock Show has classes for ponies bred on the moors adjacent to Tilbury Farm and trained for various disciplines.
Our cottages and Shepherd Huts at Tilbury Farm offer the perfect base and location to explore all that this area has to offer. Enjoy the peace and comfort of your luxury accommodation after a busy day celebrating rural life in Somerset. Book your stay now for our last remaining weeks and nights in summer 2017 and ahead for 2018.
SUMMER DIARY 2017 NEAR TILBURY FARM
Arts, Theatre and Music
- 29June – 2 July – Hamlet, The Bishop’s Palace, Wells. bishopspalace.org.uk
- 12 July – A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Glastonbury Abbey. 01458 832267
- 14-16 July – Romeo and Juliet, Glastonbury Abbey. 01458 832267
- 14-15 July – Opera Nights, Crowcombe Court. crowcombecourt.co.uk
- 27 July – Northanger Abbey at Arlington Court. theploughartscentre.org.uk/event/northanger-abbey
- 30 July – Twelfth Night, Hestercombe Gardens. hestercombe.com
- 8 -26 August – The Importance of Being Earnest, The Valley of the Rocks.
- 29 August – 2 September – Lorna Doone, The Valley of the Rocks. pleasuredometheatrecompany.com
- 12-20 August – Watchet Summertime Exhibition. Watchet-based artists showcase their work in the run-up to Watchet Summertime Festival (20-26 August). containsart.co.uk
- 19 August – Pride and Prejudice, Dunster Castle. 01643 821314.
- 1 September – Stogumber Festival, Stogumber. stogumberfestival.com
- 29 June – 2 July – Weirfest, Porlock Weir. Real ale festival: 50 real ales and ciders, live bands, BBQ served all day. shipinnporlock.co.uk
- 21-22 July – Gumbeerfest, Stogumber – family fun and entertainment, music and beer festival. gumbeerfest.co.uk
- 2 September – Sheppy Fest, Sheppy’s Cider Farm. sheppyfest.com
Fetes and Fairs – this is only a selection, many more can be found when you visit.
- 20 July – Allerford Summer Fair & Classic Car Tour. allerfordandselworthyhall.co.uk
- 22 July – Roadwater Fete. roadwatervillagetrust.weebly.com
- 26 July – Dunster Country Fair. dunstercountryfair.co.uk
- 30 July – Watchet Carnival. watchetcarnival.co.uk
- 5 August. Cutcombe Fete and Dog Show. 01643841142
- 12 August. Winsford Village Fete. winsfordexmoor.org.uk
- 16 August – Withypool Flower Show & Fete. 01643 831494
- 18 August – Dunster Show. thedunstershow.co.uk.
Gardens and Flowers
- 24-25 June. Allerford and Bossington Open Gardens. allerfordandselworthyhall.co.uk
- 4-5 August. Taunton Flower Show. tauntonfs.co.uk
- 5 August. Dunster Annual Flower and Produce Show. 01643 8222232
- 4-8 August. St Dubricius Flower Festival, Porlock. 01643 862284
- 30 July – Porlock Horse Show – 30 July www.porlockhorseshow.org.uk
- 9 August – Exford Horse & Pony Show exmoorponysociety.org.uk
- 13 August – Brendon and District Show brendonshow.co.uk
- 19 August – Brompton Regis Village Show, Horse Show & Gymkhana bromptonregis.com/show
- 5-20 August – The Exmoor Pony Festival – 5-20 August. exmoorponyfestival.com
- 29 August – Quantock Show, Cothelstone. quantockshow.com
- 21-23 July, 22-24 August – Victorian Falconry, Dunster Castle. 01643 821314
- 5-12 September – The Flying Scotsman visits West Somerset.west-somerset-railway.co.uk