Summer 2018 at Tilbury Farm!
Summertime at Tilbury Farm
Our weather this spring has been wonderful at Tilbury Farm and the forecast is for a beautifully sunny season – perfect glamping weather or for a stay in one of our cottages on the Quantock Hills. The countryside surrounding Tilbury Farm is now alive with colour; there is a plethora of wild flowers – cow parsley, stithwort, pink campion, wild orchid, foxgloves, buttercups, wild garlic and elderflower adorn the hedgerows whilst the moorland is covered by yellow gorse blooms, lilac heather and plump blue wortle-berries. Our bees are loving our wildflowers and we have successfully harvested our first honey which is available for sale to our guests!
Buzzards and Deer
The meadows and trees of Tilbury Farm are home to a vast array of native wildlife. The big skies and views from the cottages and shepherd huts at Tilbury Farm provide the perfect lookout for buzzards circling in the thermals and other birds of prey including the kestrel and peregrine falcon. The Quantock Hills are home to the beautiful red deer and these stunning creatures frequent our fields – guests in our Shepherd Huts regularly watch them graze.
Local attractions and events
Summer is the perfect time to visit our local area which is full of events celebrating this fantastic season. Local villages and towns also come alive each summer and celebrate with fetes, fairs, flower shows and festivals of the musical and beer variety. From the big names of Devon County Show, The Bath and West Show and Honiton Show to the more regional Dunster Show, Dunster Fair and Taunton Flower Show; these annual events celebrate all that rural West Somerset, the Quantock Hills and Exmoor National Park have to offer.
Our favourite occasions are the more modest very local affairs. Home-made signage in the lanes advertise “family dog-show”, “village fete”, “outdoor theatre” or “beer fest”. Every Quantock village hosts at least a fete, a pony and dog show and / or a flower show. Expect the jingle of morris dancers, festive bunting, delicious cream-teas and locally made cakes and ice-cream. Observe serious competition for hotly contested fruit-cake, chutney and vegetable contests. Participate in pony-rides, skittles, slap-the-rat, tombola, raffles and stalls selling home-grown seedlings and home-made cakes.
Outdoor Theatre and Music
Multiple weekly events such as these are easily accessible from Tilbury Farm throughout the summer months. One of our local pubs The Carew Arms in Crowcombe is hosting several live music and pizza Saturday nights. We are also ideally situated for other cultural events including music, drama and art. A local organisation ‘Music on the Quantocks’ hosts classical music concerts on our doorstep in village churches, tithe barns and halls. Folk music can be enjoyed at Halsway Manor or at Pebbles Wine Bar in Watchet. The local village of Stogumber hosts a musical festival at the end of each summer including both classical and folk music. Open-air opera can be seen at Crowcombe Court and theatre at Hestercombe Gardens, Dunster Castle, Glastonbury Abbey or further afield in the Valley of the Rocks in Exmoor National Park. Art exhibitions are also hosted by Hestercombe and at the harbour town of Watchet.
Ponies and Village Gardens
Several local villages including Stogumber and Kingston St Mary host Open Garden charity days displaying their most beautiful cottage gardens and delicious refreshments. Stogumber has a beer festival each summer. The local equestrian community also celebrates summer in style with surrounding pony clubs offering sweet competitions including miniature show-jumping courses, fancy-dress and showing classes. Our very local Quantock Show has classes for ponies bred on the moors adjacent to Tilbury Farm and trained for various disciplines.
Our cottages and Shepherd Huts at Tilbury Farm offer the perfect base and location to explore all that this area has to offer. Enjoy the peace and comfort of your luxury accommodation after a busy day celebrating rural life in Somerset. Book your stay now for our last remaining weeks and nights in summer 2018 and ahead for 2019.
We are also offering a voucher to the value of fifty pounds for any booking made in a Shepherd Hut for June and July 2018. This applies to a minimum weekend stay of 3 nights or midweek stay of 4 nights. Quote PUB on the booking page of our website or contact us for more details. We look forward to seeing you!
SUMMER DIARY 2018 NEAR TILBURY FARM
Arts, Theatre and Music
- 9 June – 8 July – Jenny Barron: New Perspectives. Contains Art, Watchet.http://www.containsart.co.uk
- 13 – 28 June – Tiverton Literary Festival. http://www.tivertonlitfest.co.uk
- 23 June – Live band at The Carew Arms, Crowcombe. T: 01984 618631
- 30 June – Live band and pizza night at The Carew Arms, Crowcombe. T: 01984 618631
- 1st July – The FB Pocket Orchestra Jazz Concert at Hestercombe Gardens.http://www.hestercombe.com
- 14th July – Live band at The Carew Arms, Crowcombe. T: 01984 618631
- 20-21 July – Gala night at the Opera “Heroes & Villains” at Crowcombe Court. http://www.crowcombecourt.co.uk
- 29th July – Love’s Labour’s Lost at Hestercombe Gardens. http://www.hestercombe.com
- 31 July – 18 August – LEAR at Valley of Rocks. http://www.pleasuredometheatrecompany.com
- 18 August – Three Muskateers – IK Productions at Glastonbury Abbey. http://www.glastonburyabbey.com
- 22 – 28 July. 55th Minehead & Exmoor Music Festival. http://www.mineheadmusicfestival.org
- 1 August – The Tempest by The Lord Chamberlains Men at Dunster Castle. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dunster-castle/what’son
- 18 August – Hamlet at Dunster Castle. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dunster-castle/what’son
- 7-9 September – Stogumber Festival, Stogumber. http://www.stogumberfestival.com
- 15 – 17 June. Fatbelly Festival. Three day festival with local ales and food. http://www.fatbellybrewery.co.uk/events/fatbelly-festival-2018
- 28 June – 1 July – WeirFest2018. Porlock Weir. 50 real ales and ciders, live bands, BBQ. http://www.shipinnporlock.co.uk/events.php.
- 27th-29th July. Beer and music festival at The Carew Arms, Crowcombe. http://www.thecarewarms.co.uk
Fetes and Fairs – this is only a selection, many more can be found when you visit.
- 14 July – Lynmouth Regatta & Maritime Festival. Lynmouth Harbour. http://www.facebook.com/LynmouthRegattaAndMaritimeFestival.20 July – Allerford Summer Fair & Classic Car Tour. allerfordandselworthyhall.co.uk
- 22 July – The Big Cream Tea. Cream teas and home-made cake. http://www.allerfordandselworthyhall.co.uk
- 25 July – Dunster Country Fair. http://www.dunstercountryfair.co.uk
- 29 July – Watchet Carnival Parade & Fete. http://www.watchetcarnival.co.uk
- 4 August – Cutcombe Fete & Dog Show. Wheddon Cross. T: 01643 841142
- 5 August – Porlock Country Fair. T: 01643 863356
- 16 August – Withypool Flower Show & Fete. 01643 831494
- 19 August – Allerford Summer Fair & Classic Car Tour of Exmoor. http://www.allerfordandselworthyhall.co.uk
Gardens and Flowers
- 4 June – 1 July. High Brown Fritillary Trail. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/heddon-valley
- 17 June. Stogumber Village Gardens Open. Pretty local village. http://www.stogumber.org.uk
- 22 – 24 June – English Country Garde Festival. Wells. http://www.bishopspalace.org.uk
- 23-24 June. Allerford Open Gardens. http://www.allerfordandselworthyhall.co.uk
- 30 June – 1 July. Walking Festival. Showcasing the Quantock Hills. http://www.stoweywalking.co.uk
- 4 August. Dunster Annual Flower and Produce Show. Dunster Tithe Barn. T: 01643 822232
- 3-4 August. Taunton Flower show. http://www.tauntonfs.co.uk
- 4-5 August. Brendon Open Gardens Weekend. T: 01598 741343
- 15 August. Withypool Flower Show & Fete. T: 01643 831494
- 23-24 June – Treborough Hill Horse Trials. http://www.treboroughhill.co.uk
- 29 July – Exmoor Pony Centre: Summer Celebration http://www.exmoorponycentre.org.uk
- 29 July – Porlock Horse Show. West Luccombe Farm. http://www.porlockhorseshow.org.uk
- 1 August – North Devon Show. http://www.northdevonshow.com
- 5 – 12 August – Exmoor Pony Festival http://www.exmoorponyfestival.co.uk
- August – Heritage Exmoor Pony Festival. http://www.mepbg.co.uk/2018-heritage-pony-festival.
- 12 August – Brendon Show. http://www.facebook.com/BrendonShow.
- 18 August – Brompton Regis Horse Show & Gymkhana. http://www.facebook.com/BrendonShow.